ABB Optical Announces the 9th Annual Optometry Student Challenge
Third and fourth year optometry students are invited to compete in the ABB Optical 2023 Optometry Student Challenge. A $1500 travel grant to the Global Specialty Lens Symposium (GSLS) will be provided to each of the three top authors to attend GSLS and present their winning posters.
William Huang (SUNY): Spontaneous, bilateral corneal abrasions related to improper contact lens removal technique and dry eye syndrome; Marsha Zaman (NSU): Therapeutic Effects of Scleral Lenses in Patients Post Mohs Surgery with Exposure; Travis Pfeifer (SUNY): Successful Reshaping of Dry Eye Despite Poor Candidacy in an Adult Patient.
Alexis Wylam (Salus): Happily Ever After Hydrops, Success with Scleral Lenses Prior to Transplants; Karina M. Sandeen (MCO): GP Poppin, Sclerals Lockin; Andrew Humiston (Ohio State): Scleral Lenses for Professional Basketball Player with High Corneal Astigmatism.
DETAILS & DATES TO REMEMBER:
- Identify your student-based case report or research study project.
- Topics are restricted to Contact Lenses and may include (but not limited to) contact lens applications for presbyopia, keratoconus, corneal topography, post penetrating keratoplasty or related irregular corneal surface, myopia control, lens care/solutions, custom soft lenses, ortho-k instrumentation for measurement of the ocular surface and sports/performance vision.
- Notify ABB Optical Group of your interest in participating. Registration begins on April 24, 2023 and must be submitted by August 31, 2023.
- Submit an abstract on your project by October 13, 2023.
- Based on the judge's decision, 6 abstracts will be selected and all finalists will be notified by October 23, 2023.
- Authors of the top 6 abstracts selected will be asked to convert each of their submissions into the required poster PDF format and must submit their posters by November 13, 2023.
- The 6 finalists will be presenting their posters live via a virtual meeting on November 29, 2023. Results of this competition will be communicated with the winners and runners-up by December 1, 2023.
- Of the 6 abstracts, the top 3 will be recognized at the 2024 GSLS. Exact location and date to follow.
- Travel grants of $1500 will be provided to attend the symposium, and will cover travel and accommodations.
- Complimentary registration to the 2024 GSLS will be provided by the meeting.
- Three authors and their work will be recognized as honorable mention and authors will receive $250 each.
CONDITIONS: Optometry Student Challenge applies only to 3rd and 4th year students and colleges in North America. Challenge runs from April 24, 2023 through August 31, 2023. Participants must register no later than August 31, 2023. Abstracts for Optometry Student Challenge will be accepted until October 13, 2023. Final abstract submissions are electronic only-PDF document. Submitted abstracts for the 2023 3rd or 4th Year Optometry Student Challenge will be accepted only through this website. Printed forms or faxed forms will not be accepted. Abstracts are limited to 4,000 characters total (including spaces, punctuation, etc.). Submissions that exceed this limit will not be accepted by the website, but the submitter will immediately be given the opportunity to modify the submission so that it fits within this size limit. Authors are encouraged to keep abstracts succinct. Primary authors will receive immediate confirmation that their abstract was received via an e-mail confirmation sent to the address listed for the communicating author. The submitting author is responsible for assuring that all co-authors have read the final submitted version of the abstract and confirm that they have consented explicitly to including their names in the list of authors. The 6 finalists must submit their posters by November 13, 2023 and be willing to present their poster via a virtual meeting on November 29, 2023. Results of this competition will be communicated with the winners and runners-up by December 1, 2023.